Based on the four quadrants of the medicine wheel, our Four Directions workshop takes traditional lessons from each quadrant and applies them to enhancing family life and child development.
During these workshops, parents will improve their understanding of traditional approaches to parenting and how behaviours and culture impact children and development.
Medicine Wheel (Click medicine wheel to englare)
The medicine wheel is always split into 4 quadrants and typically represents the 4 directions (North, East, South, West). Depending on the tribe, the medicine wheel can represent many different things, which may include:
- Stages of life: birth, youth, adult (or elder), death
- Seasons of the year: spring, summer, winter, fall
- Aspects of life: spiritual, emotional, intellectual, physical
- Elements of nature: fire (or sun), air, water, and earth
- Animals: Eagle, Bear, Wolf, Buffalo and many others
- Ceremonial plants: tobacco, sweet grass, sage, cedar